NJHA Volunteer Opportunities
New Jersey Homeschool Association (NJHA) is an all-volunteer organization.
NJHA is always looking for volunteers. NJHA needs:
Lawyers – Please request to be added to NJHA’s legal referral list. This is an internal list that will never be disseminated. Requests for help will be extremely infrequent if ever. There are two ways lawyers can help:
In the extremely rare situations where a homeschooler needs legal help, usually due to an inappropriate intervention by DCP&P (child protective services), a lawyer from a specific region/county may be asked to provide pro bono services. To date, no two requests for help have come from the same county, so we anticipate that no one lawyer should ever be burdened with requests for help from multiple clients. Frankly, we hope never to need such legal help, but NJHA wants to be prepared for individual threats to homeschooling freedom. (N.B. NJHA has only been contacted for such help an average of once per year statewide.)
When legislative threats to homeschooling arise, NJHA board members might seek legal guidance. (N.B. NJHA board members have dealt directly with members of the legislature and executive branches directly on an emergent basis four times over 16 years.)
School board monitors – Please join a growing group of homeschoolers who are attending local and regional school board meetings and reporting to the NJHA board any issues or decisions that impact homeschooling.
Personal advocates – Experienced homeschoolers are needed, on occasion, for advice and encouragement. While board members deal with most requests, sometimes questions are asked which don’t fall within the experience of current board members. If you are willing to respond to a very occasional email with an emailed response and possible phone contact (at your discretion), please ask to be added as a personal advocate. If you have experience in a specialized area, whether that be due to special needs, use of particular curriculum, etc., please let us know that.
Website developers and monitors – People are needed to:
– Research vendors who claim to have products that “every homeschooler needs!”,
– Add upcoming events to the calendar, to periodically check the links on the website to see that they’re still, well, linked,
– Add and update articles and resources.
Event organizers – People interested in organizing events, large or small, should let us know.
Legislative advocates – Work needs to be done on an infrequent but ongoing basis as well as during specific times when legislation is introduced which threatens homeschooling freedoms in New Jersey. Needed are:
– Emergency advocates willing to work at a moment’s notice to advocate directly with legislators or other government officials.
– Local advocates willing to contact their state legislators to talk about maintaining New Jersey’s current homeschooling freedoms. This might necessitate a single contact with three representatives, or you might choose to visit annually.
– Legislative monitors willing to follow legislation at the state level via legislative email alerts and state news media.
Contact us at email@example.com . Please clearly identify your need in the subject line, e.g. “Membership”, “Need advice”, ” Volunteer”, etc.
You may also contact NJHA board members via the New Jersey Homeschool Association Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/NJhomeschool